
Several years ago Chuck and I were visiting his sister and her husband and flipping through a book with "earth ship" in the title. The pages were filled with dwellings made out of tires and dirt and I-don't-know-what. A Barbie Dream House they were not, but the idea of autonomous buildings was affecting. Somewhere along the way I also became aware of building homes out of straw bales, but it wasn't until last week when Chuck was browsing on the internet that I saw how beautiful these could be and I(feeling a little bit like Elizabeth Bennett on first viewing Mr. Darcy's beautiful grounds at Pemberly) realized what a great idea this was after all.
From what I have read, the financing, insuring, and code complying process is no small feat, but people in Oregon, Arizona, California, and Colorado are exchanging that process for utility bills in the low double digits! And, did I mention, the homes are beautiful! Check it out!
http://www.strawbale.com/
http://www.strawbale.com/

4 comments:
Have you noticed that your blog is reading at a Genius level. You little genius you.
That's right, Baby!
Honestly, I used to be impressed by the blog readability test, and now, well..... it's all very disillusioning.
Straw Bale homes eh? Well, in order to retain our oh-so-coveted status of "genius level reading", I'll make sure my comment is a tad more proper. Indeed, the idea of "Straw Bale Homes" is quite engaging and not without appeal;However, let us not forget the fables of our father's (note the alluring alliteration) lest we find ourselves in quite the predicament after a visitation of the infamous "wolfus bigbadus."
Thankyou Johnny. Yes, I think that ill do it.
Post a Comment