Friday, July 11, 2008

What is your favorite movie adaption from a novel?

Of the two Chronicles of Narnia, I liked The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe best. When talking of movie adaptions though, I think A&E's 6 hour version of Pride and Prejudice tops the list! I also have fallen in love with Jane Eyre since Masterpiece Theatre released there new version of Charlotte Brontes' work. I never would have thought to revisit that one since dodging it in high school without good cinematic motivation. And while quite a few changes were made in Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility, I also love that one. The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan also come to mind as stories that really lend themselves to the medium. And the film version of Anne of Green Gables captures the book's essence so completely.

On the flip side, a friend of mine read The Other Boleyn Girl hoping to avoid a little scandal and got quite the opposite. What movies have you seen that are far better than there inspiration?

5 comments:

Jennica said...

Skylark and Sarah Plain and Tall are two of my favorites. In some ways are better then the books themselves.

McNary's Blog-log said...

Jill, I am crashing your blog. This is Jamie Whitaker!! I am so glad I found your blog it is a wonderful read. Thank you for sharing so much. I want to know if Amber has a blog or email that you would give me. My email is lvfirewife@msn.com!! Thank you

Candace & Brandon said...

I love the Pride and Prejudice. I have also seen Jane Eyre, another one of my favorites!

. said...

You named some great ones...Pride and Prejudice, Alice in Wonderland, and Anne of Green Gables are my favorites!!!!

amber said...

Hi. My turn to be a snob.... Don't forget that Alice in Wonderland is not an adaptation of Through the Looking Glass nor Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. While it is a fun movie, many of the best parts ...Humpty Dumpty, the Jabberwocky, the White Knight and the Lion and the Unicorn were left out. Instead, the movie is a combination of the two books and misses much of the humor and message of Carroll's original intents.
That being said - check out E.M. Forester's A Room With a View with Helena Bonham Carter and Daniel Day Lewis - GREAT! You also can't leave out Harry Potter movies as those that catch the essence and wonder of Hogwarts with brilliant casting and set direction - whether you like the Boy-Wizard or not (I happen to like the series). ANother good one is "The Importance of Being Earnest" (Oscar Wilde)as is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey). While not a totally straight adaptation, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Bauby) is wonderful. Same with "The Hours." And don't forget Shakespeare - Polanski's "MacBeth" definately captures the essence!