Saturday, November 29, 2008

Out of The Turkey Roasting Pan, Into The Chestnut Roasting Open Fire

I have always wanted one of those advent calenders with the 25 little boxes for counting down till Christmas. This year I finally got one, and then it struck me, "What am I going to do with this?". My plans always start out far loftier than I every have hope of achieving, so I'm trying to keep it simple. I've spent the evening googling ideas and have compiled this list. I'm trying really hard to make sure it's stuff I can accomplish and most likely things we traditionally do anyway as a family. I did add a few things that I always want to do but don't get to like the gingerbread house thing, and the prize for our favorite neighborhood lights. I think it will be good for me to plan it all out on the calender and make a shopping list so I'm ready to go. The bigger stuff I'll plan for Family Night or a night I know Chuck will be home, and Friday night is movie night around here.

Do you have any advent calender ideas, or traditions to share? I'd love to hear them. Here's what I've got so far:

-Take a drive around the neighborhood and look at lights. Leave a prize for the family favorite.
-Watch Home Alone together. Make popcorn.
-Go to the Ward Christmas Party. Talk with someone you don’t know well yet.
-Wear red.
-Hang the Christmas Wreath.
-Decorate for Christmas outside.
-Go to the Bellagio and see the Christmas garden.
-Make goodies for friends. Deliver them.
-Give a present to your neighbors.
-Make a popcorn garland.
-Watch It’s a Wonderful Life together. Have a candy cane.
-Make a gingerbread house.
-Attend the performance of Handel’s Messiah.
-Watch The Nutcracker together. Eat shelled peanuts.
-Give a gift to someone in need.
-Hang a ribbon for Christmas Cards.
-Wear green.
-Make hot chocolate with marshmallows.
-Go to the Ethel M Chocolate Factory and see the cactus garden lights.
-Read The Grinch Who Stole Christmas in Mom’s bed.
-Find mistletoe, hang it, kiss under it.
-Go ice-skating.
-Take a walk around the temple and say 3 things you know about Jesus.
-Clean your bedroom. Donate toys to D.I.
-Do something nice for a brother or sister. Mean it.

7 comments:

Jennica said...

That is a really good idea. I may borrow it. I usually get the advent calendars with chocolate in them so I can eat it. 8)

. said...

Love the list and thanks for sharing! Only thing I can think of adding is to read the story of Jesus' birth from the Bible.

Anonymous said...

This is neat. I've never heard of this before. Figure it out and then tell me how to do it for next year. I love the new look of the BLOG.

monica said...

I was just given an Advent calendar with 1 Christmas hymn per day. I fear singing together as a family is becoming a lost art.

Emily said...

Along with Monica's thought, how about caroling? We would love to go with you! Fun idea. So often we do so many of those things but having a designated time makes it extra special.

Kristi said...

I have never seen those, it is so cute and you have tons of cute ideas. My kids just watched Home Alone this weekend and they had so much fun. By the way I'm glad you visited my blog, I'm going to add you to mine!

Audrey Taylor said...

Ooooooooooo.... I love those ideas! You are a fun woman, Jill. When are we officially going to meet? HaHa Maybe we can make gingerbread houses together. Call me sometime 4996042.