Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Spice of Life

With the kitchen together and life getting back to normal I have finally begun to enjoy cooking again, but what to make is always the hardest part. So, we've been trying new things lately.

It may sound silly, but I don't make much pork so when I picked up some pork loin cutlets at Trader Joe's the other day I had to ask Martha how to cook them. I had also been wanting to try the Crash Hot Potatoes I saw on Pioneer Woman so I paired the two together with a salad and it was great. I used little yellow new potatoes and the thin skins crisped up so well!

On the same trip I picked up brussel sprouts because I had never actually had them before and thought I might as well give them a try. I cut them in half lengthwise and roasted them with olive oil and salt and pepper. Even though they could have come out of the oven a few minutes sooner, the kids ate far more than I expected(no left-overs). Over the last week or so we also resurrected a recipe for Eggplant Parmesan and I picked up a bottle of TJ's picatta sauce that Monica exposed us to last time she was in town which we had with rice, mushrooms, and chicken.

For Halloween Dinner we had soup with friends and I brought one of Chuck's favorites that I haven't made in far too long. Tonight, we tried artichokes, but I have had better so either I need more practice or better produce.

You can never please all of the kids all of the time (at least I can't), but it's been fun putting some new things in the mix. Have you made anything new and fun or do you have a staple that everyone always enjoys?

8 comments:

. said...

Now that I'm hungry....sounds like you are quite the cook. It's got to be nice having your kitchen put back together. Would you mind sharing the recipe for eggplant parmesan?

Jill said...

Hey, Megan. I'm really not "quite the cook". But you can only ruin dinner so many times in nine years :) I added a link for the eggplant. I didn't have time for it to bake, so I sauted it on the stove top.

Heather & Greg said...

I love your creative cooking ideas, we tend to do the same thing over and over again. I think i'm going to try some of your recipes! Thanks for sharing. If I come up with anything new I will definently share.

Heather B said...

I have never, ever made pork even once, but Samuel loves it, so I've been meaning to learn. You might have to let me in on a good way to cook it. It all sounds so good! I tend to stick with old favorites but I haven't been cooking long enough to have a lot of those-- My cousin gave me a cookbook from their ward, and all the recipes are fairly easy and turn out tasty, so I try those new things all the time.

i said...

i LOVE Zuppa toscana!! And i'm using that recipe for e.p. parm tonight, thankyou. it's purpleness has been staring at me from my fridge for 4 days now.

Audrey Taylor said...

Isn't trying new recipes so much fun? It's great you are developing this talent!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a mom again that lived with me. I miss her cooking and me doing the dishes. I long for the day when my kids cook dinner for me, however, I don't want them to grow up that fast and leave me!

Heather & Greg said...

Hey Jill, do you have either of Ina May's books? I would love to read them!