Thursday, November 27, 2008

Two Birds, One Stone

Today is the second time in nine years that our anniversary has landed on Thanksgiving. This year I got a bottle of wine to celebrate with Chuck in the wee hours. But before you get excited, I should tell you that we used it in the brine for the Turkey that I had to get up at 4:30 am to cook (it's okay, it cooks off). He had to share me with my other love, Martha Stewart. Don't get me wrong, I am the first to admit what a twit she can be, but I am never disappointed with her recipes so I keep going back for more. I like the way she asks her celebrity guests if they do worm composting under their kitchen sinks or if they've planted their bulbs yet, etc. Oh, that Martha. She makes me laugh. Anyway.....

We had a great day. The turkey was delicious and super moist, it was so nice to have family together and I finally got the gravy right this year(thanks to Martha). But I couldn't do any of it without Chuck. I am terribly inefficient and while I usually know what I am doing, I love that he will let me talk incessantly about it all to him while asking(as if I was really wanting an answer and as if he really knows or cares) which plates to use or whether I should start the potatoes at 11:38 or 11:46, etc...

So Chuck,

-Thanks for working your butt off around the clock for us even though I gripe about the hours and the time away.
-Thanks for keeping things light. I need that.
-Thanks for always making me feel beautiful.
-Thanks for being so willing to fix stuff yourself. For us and for others.
-Thanks for being a good Dad.
-Thanks for your commitment to the Lord and the church.
-Thanks for always being the one to take the rug to the laundromat and all the other little jobs I hate.
-Thanks for wearing the clothes I pick out for you.
-Thanks for being my friend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, how sweet. Darris goes to the laundromat too -with a book of course. No wonder they're such good friends. We love Chuck an all his sarcasm! Although, I do hope he sees what a wonderful wife, mother, and friend you are too.

Amber said...

Oh that was sweet! Happy Anniversary!

Emily said...

Thanks for a great Thanksgiving - it was all beautiful. You and Martha throw a good party! Happy Anniversary!

Audrey Taylor said...

Congratulations Jill!
Ben and I were married 9 years ago on Nov 13th.
I'm so glad your husband is such a good man :)

Heather & Greg said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you. And thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving tricks, I NEED those!!!

the Dover Family said...

Hey Jill, I'm so glad you sent me a comment. It's so fun to hear from people that I don't see very often. I think that's why it's great to blog. I'm adding you to my "friends". I would love to keep up with you and your family.

i said...

aren't husbands nice to run around for us and do the fancy stuff....even when they don't understand why we care so much! happy birds!