Thursday, April 23, 2009

Butterflies

Anna's Birthday was a success. The Caterpillar-to-Butterfly Kit I ordered came quite a bit sooner than expected and made a great early gift. She really enjoyed watching the process and we released them a few days ago that they might fulfill the measure of their creation. We watched each one flit away, one at a time, and we bobbed up and down with them until they finally lifted and soared out of sight. Something about a butterfly is so magical and exciting that it never gets old. We were revisited with that thrill today out in the backyard when one stopped by to say hello.

Later, as Chuck left for work we all followed out the door after him to see him off. He had decided to take the motorcycle (it must be driven you know, for the sake of the bike). The kids always get a kick out of seeing him all geared up: jacket, helmet, gloves, back pack. I stayed in the courtyard so as not to impede their enthusiastic send off. They followed him into the street where the bike was parked touching his legs and anxiously awaiting the roar of the motor. Finally the moment came and they were obliged to inch away as he began maneuvering for his big exit. From my vantage point I admired him and his posse, thinking what a very cool thing it must be to be a dad with his very own fan club just waiting for an excuse to be impressed. And then, just before he rode off into the sunset, he stopped and looked up to find me standing barefoot in the courtyard in my apron and gave me one of those tres cool upward head nods. Mr. Popular had noticed me, far from the madding crowd. Butterflies struck again.

9 comments:

Sara said...

You have the best way with words! I honestly am in (happy) tears. Dads are so cool. I love how the kids welcome kevin home. They think he's the coolest in the world. I like him too!

Michelle said...

Aw, that is the sweetest post!

the Dover Family said...

I love this post!! I felt magical just reading it (both paragraphs). Love, love, loved it!! :)

Jennica said...

This was awesome. Like Sara, I have happy tears.

Heather & Greg said...

This was the cutest post. How amazing are you, looks like you have started a fan club with us moms. You definently have a way with words.

Audrey Taylor said...

Silly Jilly,
Your post makes me feel so romantic! I was anticipating a goodbye kiss :>
My email is named after a butterfly -Auderfly.
Can you send me your mailing address??
Or call me 4996042

Jill said...

Awe, shucks guys. Your sweet comments made my day! Thanks. Really.

Heather B said...

Such a great post, it totally made me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get my butterflies this week and watch my ladybugs grow. Did you get those too???