Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How Can You Miss Me If I Never Go Away: Homeschool Edition

A while ago a homeschooling, homebirthing, comrade of mine posed the open question on her blog, "why do you homeschool?".
I answered: "I ask myself this question a lot. And the answer totally depends on the day. Sometimes it's a political statement, sometimes it's because I like not leaving the house, sometimes because I would miss my kids, sometimes because it goes so much better with Chuck's schedule, sometimes because I must be some kind of masochist. Usually it's because it just feels right."

And really, isn't that why all of us moms do what we do? Because it just feels right. And there are as many different ways to mother as there are mothers and children. We all ebb and flow, supply and demand, act and react, subconsciously led by mother's instinct. Through it all, every moment, life is growing and changing. Just as we think we've found it's rhythm, new seasons begin, new stages set in and we begin again: adjusting, amending, appeasing.
To make a long story short, both of my school-age children started public school this week. We've done public school before (never all day), but despite pleasant enough experiences, it just was not the thing. How do I say why any other way? And now it is. And that is all I know. And that is enough for me.
And this week has been GREAT so far!

I love that look on her face, just like Chucky said the night before, "I'm excited and scared all at the same time".

I confess, I'm playing it all by ear(and faith). If you ask me if I'm gonna homeschool again, you'll get the same answer I give when someone asks me if I'm gonna have any more kids: I hope so, just not tomorrow. And really, I think homeschooling is more a state of mind, a parenting style, than a status that comes and goes (though kudos should go to anyone actively managing and administering the education of their children all by themselves. It is NOT a side note in a day). I am enjoying the opportunity I will have this year to teach other subjects to my kids (including: mommy CAN, in fact, be crafty, keep a house clean, follow someone else's schedule, and play a supporting role) that will require just as much effort, and just as much dedication to being a mom who does what she does because it feels right.


P.S. I made Katy's school bag in the picture. She picked out the fabric and it was a really fun little project. I modified tutorials I found here and here.

9 comments:

Britta said...

I'm glad that public school is working out for you so far. I'm going to home school Dallin this year, so wish me luck. He's going to do Connections Academy and doesn't start 'til next week, so I don't know exactly what I'm in for.
P.S. I lovvvvve the school bag you made for Katy. So cute! We should get together and craft sometime.

Amanda Warren said...

You'll have so much time on your hands now to devote to Anna. I am thrilled to have more one on one time with Ava.

Also, the school bag was beautiful! You cannot seriously think you are not crafty after making that.

Amber said...

Glad you have had a good week. It is nice to see you at the school! :)
And the bag is adorable! I love it!

Heather B said...

LOVE that bag. LOVE that Katie picture (it really says a thousand words.) Have fun with your new TIME! We miss you guys tons.

Matt said...

I hope you enjoy your new experience. I am trying to figure out exactly what I should do with Caleb next yr. I may just let it flow. 8)

Anonymous said...

i love her bag... and I say that becuase my living room throw pillows are the exact same fabrics!! yes, Katy and I have the same good taste! she looks so grown up!!

Sara said...

Hey where is mine. I'm coming to you from now on!!! You are too crafty. I'm so glad the kids are doing great. I can't wait for our little "school" to start. I say we go to institute on tuesdays and craft on the thursdays that the other moms have our kids!

Heather & Greg said...

Jill I love your insight on things and I love that you do things according to your instincts and not what others think is the right thing to do. You are such a wonderful mommy and a crafty one at that!

Michelle said...

I so appreciate this post. Your description of why we moms do what we do could not have been more perfectly expressed! Life is constantly evolving, and while our core values remain constant, we must alter our course on a regular basis... sometimes with no logical explanation.
I am so thankful for motherly intuition - and the Spirit. And, I can't tell you how much I appreciate reading what I have always felt so clearly and simply put into words.
Oh, and I'm glad school is going well for your kids!