Saturday, October 31, 2009

Boo'd

I was Boo'd, blog style. I had 24 hours to respond in kind and keep the fun going. I failed. There are only 38 minutes of October left now. So, instead, I am going to tell you about my good friend, Mandy.

Amanda Warren and I have been "friends" since high school. However, our acquaintance with each other dates much further back to the days of blowing our first gum bubbles and playing My Little Ponies whilst our mother conspired together on some church activity or another. I've known of Mandy, and her large family consisting, almost entirely, of beautiful and talented girls, one after the other, for most of my life.

Mandy is gorgeous. You've probably seen her before. In college she posed for some stock photos and subsequently has had her face plastered on everything from lip gloss ads, to hair dye, to Sam's Club membership pamphlets. Once I saw her blown up, larger than life, at Sears. Knowing Mandy is playing a real life Where's Waldo game, all the time.

Mandy is hilarious. You won't know it at first. She comes off quite conservative and demure, but she loves a good running joke, and can banter with the best of them. Her humor is both offbeat and well timed. A visit with her and her husband is riddled with laughter.

Mandy is one of the most dedicated homemakers I know. She married her high school sweetheart, Jess (another great friend), and together they have created a family of three (so far) breathtaking children. Caring for them, educating them, and nourishing them is her hearts purest desire, and it shows.

When I talk with Mandy, I am always left feeling connected to the sisterhood of mothers. We share both priorities and neurotic quirks. She has moved away, once and then again farther. Our lives are busy. But when the chance to visit comes, I always know that I will find understanding, validation, wit, and, of course, growth.

She is new to the blogging world. Visit her at Warren Piece. I'm so excited. It's such a great way to stay connected. Her writing and her photos never disappoint. Now, if only I can keep up on mine...

3 comments:

Jess Warren said...

Wow, Jill! You really nailed it with this one. You are very thoughtful and kind! We really appreciate the friendship that we have had and continue to develop with you and Chuck and are happy that we have been able to keep in touch over the years. Mandy and I really feel that the four of us have a special connection that we never want to lose!
BTW, as usual, your writing skills are the best. Even better than my numchuck skills. You really need to keep these blog postings coming!

Amanda Warren said...

Jill, you are so sweet! I would have commented last night when Jess read your blog entry to me, but I've sworn off the computer/internet on Sundays. Anyway, the days that I feel like a deadbeat mom, I'm going to head straight over to your blog and read this. Who wouldn't be flattered by such kind words? And, an entire blog post dedicated solely to me? That is just way too kind! Thank you, Jill!

Barbara Rosenthal said...

Jill, I love you. You have a special way with words and you really are a good friend. I loved reading about Mandy!
Barbara