Friday, September 5, 2008

Sabbath Mode?


While researching new-to-us ovens on craigslist as part of our on-going kitchen remodel I came across something else new to me; a feature called "Sabbath Mode" for kosher kitchens.
This is what I found:

"One of the Sabbath laws is that raw food may not be cooked on the Sabbath, but food which was already cooked beforehand may be kept warm until mealtime. On holidays, food may be cooked fresh, but turning the flame on is problematic. In the past, both of these could be accomplished simply by lighting a flame before the day begins, and using its heat over the course of the day. In recent decades, however, appliance manufacturers have instituted a safety feature which automatically shuts off the heat after a number of hours. This renders the appliance useless for those who observe these religious laws.

The key features of Sabbath mode ovens are that it disables the standard six- or twelve-hour cutoff and all lights and displays are disabled, so that no visible activity takes place when the oven door is opened. "

If you are as nerdy as me and want to know more, click here and here.

However, my interest here is not so much the law that Orthodox Jews follow, but that without this feature in everyday kitchen staples, a law, which beautifully allows it's followers to honor their faith might appear completely unreasonable and out-dated.

Sundays can be hard. I guess this is because Chuck and I have yet to really cement our family's list of Sunday do's and dont's. Generally, we are a no TV on Sundays kind of family, but with varying Sunday obligations and Chuck's irregular work and sleep schedule, occasional classic movie viewing, mostly old musicals, are a small part of passing the day now and then for us(not to mention a little Extreme Home Makeover) . I think the biggest problem we have, is that our don't list is much much larger than our do list. I have heard of people making Sunday boxes filled with special activities just for that day but have yet to assemble one; mostly because I am unsure of what to put in one. I would love to hear what Sabbath Mode is for others, especially those with children. Because, as far as I know, this is one of those areas where there are no strict guidelines, I hope it can be discussed without judgmental attitudes. I have some friends who make it a point to never travel on the Sabbath, and others who love to get away together when church callings allow and I respect both ideas. I just want to know what works for you and helps your family feel closer to God and each other, not what some might feel is the ultimate in holy rolling.

9 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

Hi Jill,
We went to Deseret Industries and bought a lot of movies - anything to do with Jesus. I told my kids, "You can only watch 'Jesus movies' on Sundays".
We also stay in our church clothes all day.
We have visited grandparents, walked the grounds of the temple.
Those are some ideas for your "do" list.

Sara said...

Since we are a "food" family, Sunday's are usually the days that we are all able to get together to enjoy each others company and have great food. A game here or there (scrabble or dominoes) might take place, but this is our large family, family night. There is no tv before church unless it is a living scriptures movie, which actually has kinda helped us in a smoother transition for church. They are already in learning and reverent mode. 10 straight weeks on time and counting. I need to be better about what we do, but I'm with you. Our list of don't do's is much longer than our do's.I think that anything that invites the spirit into YOUR home is alright to do. That's the great thing about agency and going on the spirit. We know what is best for our individual family! I enjoyed your post!

Anonymous said...

Sunday the kids and I would make a sweet goody and deliver it to people in the ward we really didn't know...and families we did. Even when we moved in our new house, I would make cookies and Dawson would say "Mom who are we going to deliver these to?" I guess I should get back in the habit!

Marylin said...

Well we are a bit relaxed on Sundays but I will say that some of the things that I "Encourage" my kids to do it write letters to family or missionaries, they can watch the church videos, they can write in their journals or read the Friend, they can help me make cookies or take a nap. The other thing we do lots is go up to my parents and walk around the Temple or just for a walk period. I also have paper they can draw on or coloring books or even a craft or two.

When I was little my Mom had journals for all of us, even though I was like 3, and she would help us write in them a line or two and I still have mine and I love looking at it!

Well hopefully some of those ideas will help! Oh and too bad you weren't in our group on Wed!

jonstone said...

So, this is weird, but I am pretty sure that me and your husband were best friends in 5th and 6th grade. I moved to Tucson, AZ after 6th and never saw or heard from "Charles" again (sisters are Rose and Stephanie, right?). Actually, we may have written for a while... But our days of blowing up G.I. Joe guys in his back yard and playing hours and hours Nintendo are still fresh in my mind.

It would be cool to be back in touch. My wife Tina and I live in Illinois, currently, where I am attending graduate school and also have 3 kids.

Tell Chuck, "yo" and have him email me or something: jon.stone at gmail.

Heather & Greg said...

I'm like you and my list of don'ts is longer than dos so I have had to re evaluate my list. We have some of the living scriptures that the kids like to watch. I love this post cause I am in need of some creative Sunday ideas. I love the taking a walk on temple grounds.

Telavian said...

I've once heard a line you should ask yourself when deciding what to do on Sunday..."Is it worshipful" I still toss things back and forth but I am still learning and hope God knows I want to do it right.....I just really hope that blogging is counted under "family history" and strengthening relationships, cause it's definitely been on the approved "list" lately! thanks for promoting real thinking today!

Telavian said...

Oops...I didn't know my husband patrick had logged on! I wrote that last comment.

i said...

oops i guess i need to go to bed. Julie here...signing off before I do anything else silly. sorry i've left 3 comments in a row.