Monday, October 27, 2008

Silver Lining

I mentioned in a previous post that I am no seamstress. Well, I wasn't just being modest. While I have actually enjoyed making the kids costumes this year, there has also been an awful lot of picking out seams and winging it. My mom helped out as much as my procrastination allowed, but on Wednesday she left for Idaho to celebrate my nephew's 12th birthday. Soon after it became apparent that Chucky's costume wasn't going to be done in time and he was prepared with a back-up costume, but I still had a fighting chance to finish the girls' dresses. It was really coming together until I got to the silver trim. Much of it could not be done on the machine and I just don't have much experience with hand stitching. It took hours. But I stayed up late two nights in a row, worked all morning and afternoon long the day of the ward party AND.........

I didn't finish. With about twenty minutes to go and soup still to prepare I accepted the fact that it just wasn't going to happen. I knew that if I rushed the final details, I would be sorry and end up making more work for myself so I cut my losses and helped the girls sort through the dress-up and Halloween boxes. Chuck had to work and needed his sleep, but he had already been up putting together Chucky's substitute costume and helping the kids carve pumpkins for the contest. He ran to the store and got the candy I had forgotten and chopped the vegetables for the chicken soup. It all came together just fine. Rather than the triumph being my handy work, it was having kids who could go with the flow and still have fun and be excited. Instead of a trio of medieval royalty I ended up with a Witch, a Jedi, and Cinderella...



And one knight in shining armor.


Funny things my kids said that night:

Katy: They better have separate contests for kids and adults because adults have much better carvemanship. (This was the first year Katy was able to do most of the carving herself. To her delight she ended up winning a prize for prettiest pumpkin)

Katy: I got 8 trillion 3 hundred and 65 pieces of candy. How much did you get?

Chucky: I got one more than that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think Jill...I stole that extra time when we sat on the phone until midnight!!!! I'm sorry! I can't wait to see the costumes and maybe next year you could make me a pocket witch for school! :)

. said...

I love your honesty! Sometimes even the best of intentions don't always work out the way we want them to. High five to you for giving it a try. Sewing is not easy and I am amazed at people who are even patient enough to try! The kids look super cute in their costumes and I am glad your daughter won the contest!!!

Emily said...

You know you're doing a good job when the kids are just as thrilled with the backup than the first choice...that takes skill. I'd say you're "sewin" some pretty good seeds :)

Jack said...

thats right chucky, and you hold on to the "one more than that" piece with all your might!

Anonymous said...

They looked so cute! Good job! And they looked pretty happy to me!! thats all the counts right?!?

Jennica said...

awe, I love when our Knights show up to help rescue us damsels in distress. Your kids look great and you would never know they were back-up costumes.

Marylin said...

Your a good Mom to have put all the effort into making them and it stinks that they weren't done for that night but they still looked so cute and aren't we grateful for the easy, go with the flow, kids!! Hey I am gonna be at the Hollywood park tomorrow morning if you want to meet up, let me know! :)

Audrey Taylor said...

Aaaaawww, a night in shining armor! It sounds like your family runs with the wind like mine does. I can't rely on my husband to pull things together for me anymore though. We're going to have to simplify life.