We've been observing National TV-Turnoff Week since Monday. It's hasn't been a big deal because we just don't watch it that much. Chucky likes to play a little Lego Wii to unwind from school now and then, we all think PBS's Word Girl, Aurthur and Ruff Ruffman are very entertaining when our afternoons allow for it, and we generally celebrate Friday Nights with a good movie, but that's about it. Chuck and I watch The Office together in bed on the laptop, but we actually got caught up a few weeks ago and it's just not the same(I love watching several episodes in a row without the commercials). Even our Netflix subscription has become neglected. But It wasn't always like this. (LENGTHY FLASHBACK ALERT)About three years ago at General Conference time we decided to do the whole King Benjamin, watch it in a tent pointed towards the temple thing. We were laptop-less back then(how did I survive) so we actually moved our one big TV out there. It was really fun and several general authorities referenced King Benjamin making the kids feel connected to the speakers. Sunday evening we moved it back into the house returning it to it's very same spot and went to bed. The next day we couldn't get reception on several channels. We had never quite worked cable or satellite into our budget so bunny ears and apparently dumb luck were all we had. I used my best magic moves but nothing improved. Chuck brought home a new antenna and I even tried rearranging the furniture to see if it would be more comfortable elsewhere. But nothing worked and life was busy. Survivor wasn't really holding my attention that season anyway and Chuck's schedule had him missing his usual favorites. PBS was still coming in strong so at least the kids were happy and we marched on. My hands weren't so full of nursing babies, again making room for good books and two handed typing on the computer(hallelujah) and the nights Chuck was home were filled with FHE, church activities and everything else.
Eventually the reception got better. I don't even know how or when. We would turn it on at night now and again to find shows we didn't know anything about and schedules that just didn't fit. Extra money we might have used to pay for more channels is now consumed by karate and swim lessons. But mostly, I just don't want to give up what I didn't know I was missing before. I feel more like my mind is my own. No one is programming my thoughts or telling my kids what I should buy them. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone who watches TV is a mindless sheep, nor do I suffer from the delusion that my Internet time is any less a vice. I just like where I am now. We still don't have one of those converter box things or a fancy new TV(we got grass instead). We'll see what happens when "they" finally cut us off.
Anyway, the point of this post was to tell you about how we spent our Friday night. We did kind of miss our Movie so we made chocolate chip cookies(I don't do this near enough. But don't tell, I may lose my RS membership) and enjoyed a few extra chapters of The BFG (lots of laughs at the dream sequences). I used the recipe on the back of the Ghirardelli bag and it just isn't cutting it. I need your recipe!!! I'm just looking for plain old Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, but I'll take whatever you've got that's GOOD!

10 comments:
See, I really need something like that to happen to me. I remember at least once in my life where I wasn't watching TV, and I wasn't missing it!! Now, I cringe at the thought of missing out on these shows...AND I REALLY HATE THAT I FEEL THAT WAY!! So, anyway, I have two incredible cookie recipes, I'll post them here for all to see. They are not healthy. But they are DIVINE.
Oat Choc Chip Cookies
2 Eggs
3/4 c. br. sugar
3/4 c. gran. sugar
1 C. Butter flavored shortening
(yuck, I know, but these cookies are probably the best I've ever had)
1 tsp Bak. Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 C. Reg Oatmeal
1 Pkg Choc Chips
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. Flour.
The recipe that I have says to do the first 5 ingredients, then the next 4 (that puts Vanilla in with the dry...so whatever)
Bake at 325 for 10-12 min.
Choc Chip Cookies (with a hint of Peanut Butter)
1 c. br. sugar
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
(cream these together)
1 tsp bak. soda
1/4 or 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c. flour
semi sweet choc chips
Bake 350 for 8-12 minutes
It took me 4 tries to get these cookies just right, but then I ate the whole pan. :)
I'm definitely going for DIVINE!
Here's one of my favorite recipes from my sis-in-law:
"Yummy Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies"
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda in 2 T. hot water
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 pkg Chocolate Chips
Instructions:
Mix shortening, sugars and eggs. Add soda water, vanilla, flour and salt. Fold in chips. Bake at 375 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven when barely brown and a little doughy. Enjoy!
Also, I forgot to post the info on the fruit pizza...it's super easy and super tasty!
1 pkg sugar cookie dough - make as directed for cut-out cookies - form on a pizza stone or pan
Cook per instructions and let cool. Once cool, frost with a mix of cream cheese and shortening (to your specific taste). Then cut up your favorite fruits to decorate. For Fourth of July I typically do a flag one with blue berries and strawberries...not sure if that will happen this year!
Holy crap Jill? I think I'll print it out and read it??? :)
We got rid of cable about 6 weeks ago, and I seriously don't miss it anymore. I thought life wouldn't be the same without fox news, but somehow it is. I'm not sure how we would fair without PBS, so fortunately we still have that. :)
I don't have any amazing cookie recipes... I bet you make them way more often than I do! (Maybe that's why they booted me out of RS and put me in Primary?)
Anyway, I feel dumb for asking, but what is The BFG?
I have to laugh since I just got my DVR back. I love my TV. Now I can watch my shows according to my own time, not the stupid slots they get put in.
The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) by Ronald Dahl. My older sister always gave me very thorough reviews of the books she read when we were kids so it's actually my first time through too!
I have been in search of a good chocolate chip cookie recipe and a friend forwarded this one to me. The cookie is always chewy and has a great surgary with a hint of salty taste, that makes it delish'. I generally add chopped pecans and coconut to the recipe just because.
This is a big recipe, and it is easy to half, so I do that a lot.
1 lb. margarine or butter or shortening (1lb of shortening is 2 cups) - I usually use butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
6 1/2-8 cups flour
2 t. soda
2 t. salt
chocolate chips
Bake at 375 degrees about 6-8 minutes. I bake them until they just start turning brown on top and then let them rest on the cookie sheet a couple minutes before putting them on the cooling rack. They are the yummiest, and what isn't good about a pound of butter! Like I said, they are easy to half, then you don't feel as bad when you only add 2 sticks of butter instead of 4! :)
Jill,
Here you go! THE BEST!!!
Chocolate Chippers
½ c. Shortening
½ c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking soda
16 oz. Pkg. Chocolate chips
Cream shortening, sugars, egg & vanilla till light and fluffy. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture. Then add chocolate chips. Bake 350 degrees on greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.
You are going to want to at least double if not triple the recipe!!
My kids loved the BFG too! I need to read it! Call me I have an awesome oatmeal choc chip, it is Mrs. Field, and Tyler makes them killer, everyone loves them! I don't want to type it, call me lazy!!!!
Post a Comment